Friday 24 April 2015

Frankfurt (Oder)

Hi everyone,

Today I would like to tell you about my next sightseeing trip. Tomorrow I am going to Frankfurt (Oder) with my boyfriend and my friends. There is no problem to arrive there from Poznan because there are two different trains which leaves in the early and late morning. The journey takes only about two hours and that time the train moves on the distance of 177 kilometers.

Frankfurt (Oder) is German town located on the Oder River. The nearest Polish town is Slubice. The town has nearly 60.000 inhabitants and it is the one of Branderburg federated state. Frankfurt was located in 1253. In the medieval times it was a strong trade town which was dominating in the river trade. Unfortunately, Frankfurt was devastated during the Second World War, especially the midtown. It is interesting to know that the border between Germany and Poland ran alone the Oder River and one district of Frankfurt became a new Polish city called Slubice.

In the town we can sightsee the Gothic Town Hall, the neo-Gothic post office and The Church of Peace (Friedenskirche). Frankfurt has a museum of its own history from the 13th century up to our times. It is called in German Stadtarchiv Frankfurt. There is also a boulevard along the Oder River from which we can admire Polish Slubice.






Although Frankfurt (Oder) is not the enormous city, it has the tram network, which consists of five tramways.

EDIT before the trip:

I have also see an old and unfortunately devastated theatre. It looked like a people's theatre because of the elements of its decoration outside. 


I must say that Frankfurt (Oder) made me feel very enthusiastic about living abroad. Simply before I have crossed the border, I felt the change of lifestyle and the quality of life. It is not a very populous town but it is quite big in relation to its area. Yesterday it was Saturday but it was no crowd on the streets and in the shops too. The people are not afraid of leaving their goods without care (I saw one bag without it and its owner who was jogging around but she was not taking care of her bag).
The prices are also not very high. I think there are similar to these Polish if we convert it into zloty. There were also organised one peaceful street demonstration of members of Communist Party but it was totally controlled and nobody was agressive.

I visited also the suburbs of Frankfurt and tipically residential areas. The building are well-cared, repaired, redecorated and in good living condition. There was a total silent in this area. It showed me that not very far away from Poland it is a town where the life is quiet and I hope better and simplier than in Poland.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! :) It was impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought young people like you would be interested in lively, bustling big cities like Berlin, Paris or London! I'm sure there are more than enough quiet towns in Poland, where nothing interesting happens. Why go abroad for that? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a totally different person. I love silence, green grass and lonely places. :) Why going abroad to feel bored? I think that there is no boring place but the people provoke boredom and do not want to change their lifestyle, looking for new opportunities. In every country there are many quiet places but if you can see how neat one is, you are very encouraged to move in. I appreciate many Polish towns and villages but I sometimes think that young people can have better life abroad. :)

      Delete
    2. OK, now I know what you mean. I must say I'm actually looking forward to a bit of holiday boredom now ;) Sorry for responding so late!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete