Tuesday 16 December 2014

Reszel, the place worth to return.

There is one another place where I can always feel like home. The place which brings me memories from childhood when I was spending only single holidays and feast day in this small town.
Reszel is situated in Warmia, historical region in northen Poland. It counts about 5.000 inhabitants who lead a calm life in a place full of monuments, which have been an eyewitness of historical events from its foundation in 1241. Reszel was founded by the Bartian tribe of Old Prussians, then after a few years it was conquered by German crusades. As many towns and cities located in Warmia and Masuria, Reszel can boast about several Gothic monuments which have become so brilliant attraction that this small town is visited by thousands of people, especially during spring and summer. The main highlight is a Gothic castle built in fourteenth century, which is well-known by the event taken place in 1811 when a witch called Barbara Zdunk was burnt at the stake. It was the last time when this type of penalty was applied in Europe. The building also worth to admire is a The Gothic St Peter and Paul's Church which interior is full of monuments, paintings with enormous organs situated in the choir.








This town means a lot to me. Many members of my family live there and also my mother comes from Reszel. I spent there a lot of moments from my childhood, having only good memories from this period. I can say that it is my small paradise which I can surely call my real home town.


No comments:

Post a Comment